Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day 1 (Fermentation) (Batches 1 and 2)


Things are coming along nicely.

The smaller Batch 1 has a one day head start, but also seems to be fermenting at a much quicker rate. I am curious if this has to do with its smaller size or because the ingredients (especially the sugar and yeast) got a "head start" with the warmth of the juices left over after I heated it up).

Either way, Batch 2 (while still progressing) is much slower (as you might recall I only pre-heated a small portion of this batch).

Batch 2 is also showing some "rookie mistakes."


As you can see, some of the yeast got caught on the side of the bottle head (I was cutting corners and didn't use a funnel when adding the ingredients).






You can also see some of the yeast residue on the side of the bottle when I was transporting it.






These two mistakes aren't major, but the both slow down the fermentation process and result in me having more to clean when it is time to clean these things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment