Saturday, February 6, 2010

Hard Apple Cider (Yeast Starters)


This was the view outside my house today. Needless to say my weekend was going to spent mostly at home.

Around about noon, the "Cabin Fever" was officially kicking in. So, I decided to try to ferment my own yeast.

I saw a video on the subject that was pretty interesting and I thought I would give it a go. (check it out here).


The ingredients are simple, an apple and some apple juice. You will need a knife of course to cut the apples and some kind of containers (preferably plastic bottles, with lids of course).

I actually bought a couple apples. The first one I tried was this "wine sap" apple -- one I never even heard of. It was a very unremarkable apple -- a little "grainy" with not much flavor involved. I am curious to see how it turns out.

I tried this Mott's apple juice -- careful to make sure there was no preservatives.


I then put a slice of apple in two empty (of course!) gatorade bottles.

I ended up doing two bottles -- conducting a little experiment. I have been told that you do not want to wash the applies before you do this. This seems odd to me -- and not very sanitary. I get the central idea -- that you want to utilize the natural yeasts and washing might kill them, but at the same time there are surely lots of nasties involved (I mean think of what the average apple goes through -- the boxing, the traveling, the handling -- before it hits the grocery store shelf).

So, I decided to have one bottle be the "natural" apple -- unwashed and unclean. And the other is the "clean" apple. One that I washed after cutting the pieces for the first apple.

I put both bottles in a dark, but relatively warm closet in the house. I will be keeping an eye on it for the next couple days and see how it progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment